Sunday, September 20, 2009

creative practice

As part of my thesis, I interviewed the guy who started and runs Community Music Works, a great organization that teaches kids in low-income neighborhoods how to play stringed instruments. He is the only person I have interviewed so far who seemed genuinely interested in me and my research. The interview was more of a conversation really, because he asked almost as many questions about me as I did about him. Early on, he asked if I was an artist and I sort of stumbled through the answer, because I don't consider myself an artist--I can't paint, draw, sing, sculpt, etc.--but I said something along the lines of, "well, um, I craft and I love cooking...cooking is my creative outlet." Or something incoherent like that. And he responded by talking about cooking as my "creative practice." It was the first time I had thought about creativity in that way. I feel like it's more inclusive than the artist label, and gives everyone a chance to express themselves creatively/artistically, whether it be through baking, gardening, knitting, quilting, flower arranging, home decorating, etc.

Today's adventure is an apple pie.














Perfect apples that were
on the tree yesterday became this today:

No comments:

Post a Comment