Saturday, November 20, 2010

a bassinet of sorts

When I was a baby, I slept in a basket hung from the ceiling. For the past 30+ years, my parents kept the basket and have now given it to me to use with our baby-to-be. When I slept in the basket, it looks like my parents just put me in there with some blankets and called it a day. Of course, I need to make things at least 85 times more complicated.

My dad made an amazing rocking stand for the basket and then I cut a bassinet mattress to fit the basket, and started to make the bedding. I found a tutorial that was somewhat helpful, but I had a lot of trouble making the fitted sheet. I'm sure it doesn't help that I am not great at sewing and I'm even worse at measuring. Finding instructions for making an envelope-style pillow cover and many emails between the knitting triangle gave me the breakthrough I needed (including one that gently reminded me that I needed to make more than one sheet...apparently babies can be messy).

Even with a few frustrating moments and a bunch of trips to the fabric store, I'm happy with the way it came out!

No comments:

Post a Comment